Writing an attractive job advertisement is a key tool in finding and attracting candidates for a vacancy. This is a kind of art that can significantly affect the influx of talented and qualified specialists.
After all, uninformative, unstructured, contradictory and - oh horror! - An illiterate ad will not only not attract the right specialist, but in general will form an impression of the company as dubious. In this article, we will look at how to create a job advertisement in order to stand out from the competition and become a magnet for the best candidates.
In order to find a good employee, first of all, you need to collect information about the position. You can talk to your immediate supervisor about how he sees his ideal employee. He can not only describe the vacancy in a thesis, but also prepare the basis for the announcement himself. You can also additionally interview other employees from this department - their opinion can also be a source of valuable data.
When working directly on the ad, you should focus on the following recommendations:
How to do it
How not to
Clear and accessible speech. It is necessary to clearly and informatively describe the vacancy, avoid too flattering expressions about the company and the team
Excessive humor and creativity. Usually, wit in a vacancy is appropriate only in creative fields, and in others, this style can only alienate candidates
Maximum specifics. It is important for job seekers to accurately understand their duties, working hours, and remuneration for work. If the intended tasks go beyond the standard, it is necessary to pay special attention to this. In addition, the job advertisement must contain a clause with personal qualities that are important for this position
Template wording. General phrases that are used by everyone and that do not carry any semantic load will not interest candidates. "Competitive salary", "friendly team", "comfortable working conditions", "interesting tasks", "cool projects" - this should be abandoned in favor of a more personalized approach
A description of the advantages that can compensate for possible disadvantages. For example, work at the resort is most often seasonal. In this case, employees can be attracted with additional benefits, discounts, free accommodation
Clickbait. These are loud statements that are designed to manipulate people's feelings and do not correspond to reality. In this way, many candidates can be attracted, but will they be relevant?
The main condition for how to write an ad is accuracy and truthfulness. Do not embellish reality when describing the company and working conditions. At the same time, it is important to give a potential employee as much important information as possible. It may include the following items:
1. Name of the vacancy. Do not invent too much and pile up unnecessary epithets and metaphors about Zen office managers, development gurus, moneymakers who will bring the company to the top, etc. For example, an SMM specialist (hotel sector), a bank teller, a sales manager for building materials.
2. Description of the company. It is worth giving preference only to objective facts: field of activity, key partners, duration of work in the market, profile awards. It is also important to emphasize the advantages of the company, for example, an exclusive product, access to unique training materials, cooperation with foreign customers, personal development plans, etc.
3. Duties of the employee. The task of the employer at this stage is to arouse the applicant's interest in the position. So, the vacancy announcement should specifically and clearly describe what he will do. When formulating tasks, you can look for inspiration in similar vacancies.
4. Requirements. The number of requirements does not always reflect the status and significance of the company. In the vacancy, you need to describe the main key criteria that are most important for candidates. For example, experience with technical documentation, the availability of appropriate education, the ability to work with certain software and knowledge of foreign languages. It may be worth dividing the criteria into mandatory and additional, so as not to limit the flow of potential applicants. At the same time, you should not call for "passing by" irrelevant candidates, as this can scare away those who ideally fit the requirements.
"It is forbidden to declare age restrictions on candidates in vacancy announcements, to offer jobs only to women or only men, to make demands in which one of the sexes is preferred, and also to require persons who get a job to provide information about their personal lives," Part 3 of Article 11 of the Law of Ukraine "On Employment of the Population".
5. Working conditions. Before submitting a job advertisement, you also need to decide on the conditions: official employment, work schedule, career opportunities, vacation, sick leave, corporate training, staff psychologist, payment for fitness services, compensation for food and transportation costs, a rest room for employees, etc.
6. Address of the company. If the employer offers a job in the office, you need to clarify its location. Candidates will be able to find out whether the company suits them geographically.
7. Additional requirements. If necessary, you should indicate the presence of a test task, ask to attach a portfolio or write a motivation letter.
The SEEK survey showed that from the job description, candidates primarily want to learn about the location of the office, salary and necessary skills, clear requirements for the position, as well as the culture of the company.
It would be foolish to deny that salary is the most important criterion for evaluating a vacancy. If the ad does not indicate a high enough salary or does not indicate it at all, most likely, candidates will ignore it. If it is very high, of course, the influx of applicants will be huge, which will make it difficult to select.
"Job advertisements that list salaries receive 30% more applicants. More than 70% of people who quit their jobs say that salary is the main reason for changing jobs. If your average salary is higher than in their previous position, they may consider you as their next employer, "JobAdder shares the data.
Many employers make the mistake of designating only the minimum level, which is below the market average, or indicating the amount with a huge difference "from" and "to". Job seekers do not believe that they will receive the "before" amount, since it only looks like a bait for the "from" amount.
A truly attractive job advertisement - with a salary at or above the average market level. It will help to attract qualified personnel or lure competent specialists from other companies.
At the same time, it is important to provide the most accurate and transparent information about salary, bonuses and bonuses so that applicants have a clear idea of what to expect from working in this position.
Before placing a job ad, it must be agreed with the manager and edited. If the response to the vacancy is low or does not meet expectations, it is recommended to analyze the texts of vacancies, experiment with different formats and pay attention to statistical data. These actions will help improve the search process and create a truly effective ad that will attract the ideal candidate.