It is unlikely that the customer himself will be able to formulate a task for the developer, without having an idea of how this task can be performed and in what programming language. In such situations, a programmer engineer is needed - who is it, what does it do, what is included in its duties and what knowledge should a specialist have, says the job search site Login Casino Work.
Who is a software engineer and where are their services needed?
Speaking of such a specialty, we mean a person who has a higher education and knowledge in both the field of programming and engineering. The main task of the employee is to create new software products. It can be mobile apps, games, software, and more. The specifics of the activity of each individual specialist depend on the field of activity of the employing company. For example, at industrial enterprises, such an employee is engaged in the creation of software for controlled equipment, CNC machines, etc. Engineering knowledge is indispensable in such work. In companies that create applications and computer games, the employee develops and tests the products being created.
In addition to developing new products, the specialist also implements the programming tools necessary for the company's work and maintains the relevant documentation.
The need for specialists in this profession is experienced by all companies that develop new engineering solutions using information technology. These may be software companies or large commercial organizations. If you study job search sites in Ukraine, then it is from such organizations that the applicant will find a large number of vacancies. In addition, companies that belong to the gambling business are entering the labor market today. Among them are a huge number of those who are actively looking for personnel to form a strong team capable of developing the business. For some, this can be a great opportunity to start a career in a new, promising industry.
Responsibilities of a Software Engineer
Regardless of the field of activity of the employer, the list of basic responsibilities remains the same. Therefore, it is quite easy for such specialists to move from one area of business to another - in fact, for them, the requirements of the employer change little during such transitions. The main job of a software engineer is to:
- analysis of the needs of the company and the study of the possibilities of the software currently existing at the enterprise;
- verification of programs for how they meet the requirements of the company, and for the correctness of their work;
- planning, development, and implementation of software;
- testing prototypes and finished software products, making changes, fixing bugs found;
- maintenance of the created software along with other members of the development team;
- management of IT projects, and control over the implementation of tasks assigned to subordinates.
What Skills Does a Software Engineer Need for the Job?
Each task of a software engineer requires them to have certain knowledge. Thanks to their knowledge and skills, a specialist can easily perform the tasks assigned to him. Mostly, such developers are required to know and are able to:
- SQL databases and typing;
- basics of thematic modeling, and algorithmization;
- various operating systems, web technologies, and cloud technologies;
- English at a level above average;
- the process of creating schemes for input, processing, issuance, and storage of information;
- configure, verify and test the software;
- communicate effectively with other team members, maintain productive communication during the implementation of the project;
- choose the right language and development environment for a particular solution;
- develop various products that will be able to solve customer problems in accordance with the set technical specifications;
- make adjustments to previously created products and solutions;
- prepare technical documentation, and instructions for users on the created software.
Having the above knowledge, you will be able to easily pass an interview in a company where the work of a software engineer is highly valued by employers.
Personal qualities that help a specialist to successfully cope with work
In addition to professional skills, certain personal qualities help us to successfully cope with work. It is their presence or absence that is decisive when a person chooses a profession. Agree that no matter how prestigious and financially profitable it is to work as a tester, if you do not have perseverance and enough patience to do monotonous work, then daily work duties will not be fun for you and emotional burnout will soon come. It is better not to take on a job that is not close to you. As for the profession of a development engineer, people with such qualities as:
- logical and critical thinking;
- aptitude for mathematics and analysis.
- In addition, successful representatives of the profession are distinguished by a sincere interest in their work, they like to look for new solutions and learn new things.
Negative and positive aspects of the profession
For a better understanding of the specialty of a development engineer, it is worth looking at professions not only from the positive side. In addition to the obvious advantages (demand, high wages, involvement in the creation of something new and, perhaps, grandiose, the opportunity to study, and undergo an internship abroad), there is one more, no less important. This work can be performed by people with disabilities, such as hearing loss.
The profession also has disadvantages - this is a high responsibility and the need to spend a lot of time at the computer, which can negatively affect vision or general well-being. However, if you follow the safety rules and do gymnastics, then such problems can be avoided.
Career development of a specialist in engineering programming
As in almost any other profession, a specialist has the opportunity for career development. We are talking about the kind of levels or steps that an employee passes in a company or when moving from one company to another. Depending on the qualification, it is determined what the programmer engineer should know and what specific duties are assigned to him.
- The first or entry-level is usually assigned to a novice, a trainee who does not bear any responsibility and is trained by more experienced colleagues.
- A junior specialist, or, as it is customary to call them among programmers, a junior (Junior), has knowledge that is enough to solve simple problems. Their work is supervised by more experienced colleagues.
- The programmer (Middle) has enough knowledge to independently cope with almost any task and is responsible for the quality and timely completion of their work. In addition, they may still be responsible for the work of interns and juniors.
- A senior programmer, or Senior, knows several programming languages well, and can independently make important decisions regarding the product development procedure.
- A lead programmer, or Lead, differs from a senior developer in that, in addition to having development experience, they have the responsibility of managing a team and resolving important issues with the customer.
How to become a software engineer
This specialty requires a large amount of different knowledge and mathematical abilities from a person. In addition, you will need good skills to effectively communicate with people and get along with different characters. Perhaps this is not a profession that you can advise to study on your own. For those who are interested in this direction, experts recommend two ways.
Education in higher educational institutions in such specialties as "Software Engineering", "Information Systems and Technologies", "Computer Science and Computer Engineering", etc. Of course, it will take five years to master the profession, but you will receive a significant amount of knowledge. In the last courses of the university, you can look for a company that will be happy to accept you for an internship. With the level of demand that exists in the market (and will exist for a long time), it will be quite easy for a capable beginner to find a good job.
Take special courses. This path can be advised to those who wish to change their profession and already have a completed higher institution behind them. Then it will be easy for you to cope with the intensity of classes and a lot of information from teachers. In addition, such courses provide a lot of practical exercises, so by the time the classes are over, you will have a portfolio of your work ready.
Software Engineer Salary in Ukraine
One of the advantages of the profession, we called high wages. What amount are we talking about? According to several job search sites, the average salary that Ukrainian employers are willing to pay is about 20 000 in Ukraine. To calculate the average, the salaries of specialists of all categories, from interns to seniors, were taken into account. Of course, the higher the category, the higher the salary. In addition, the size of wages is affected by the city and the direction of the employer's activities.
How has the salary of middle-level software engineers changed over the past six years in Ukraine*:
Salary of the software engineer in $
*According to data on the average salaries of Middle Software Engineers of the DOU thematic platform.
Want to be the first to know about new vacancies? Subscribe to site updates and our pages on social networks!
Was the post interesting and informative? Get even more useful information, as well as find cool jobs and resumes on LC Work.