Moreover, even then the applicants did not show up and didn’t even answer the calls. Mostly this happens with applicants for the positions of mid-level specialists, office managers, salespeople, etc. At the same time, candidates for senior positions rarely miss interviews and even if they cannot come, they are always warned. What should an HR manager do in such cases and how to understand the reason for such behavior of the applicant?
5 most common reasons why job seekers don't show up for interviews
Of course, one cannot immediately think badly of a person and consider them irresponsible. However, it is necessary to understand the reasons. Experts have compiled a list of the most common reasons why applicants do not come to scheduled interviews and do not warn of their absence in advance.
- The job seeker accepted a better offer from another employer. Those who are actively searching regularly go on the interviews. If you agreed on a meeting a few days in advance, then during this time a person could attend several more interviews, successfully find a job and, in joy, forget about the agreement with you.
- The candidate forgot about the meeting. This happens, especially if the interview was scheduled, for example, a week in advance.
- The applicant mixed up the day of the interview, the time, and the address of the interview. This happens if you agreed with a person by phone and he or she did not have the opportunity to write down the necessary information. In addition, during the conversation, they could be on the street or in transport, and the surrounding noise could prevent them from correctly hearing the address or time.
- The applicant changed their mind about coming, as he or she learned unpleasant information about the vacancy or company. For example, the location of the office is not suitable for a person or, according to the terms of the vacancy, remote work is required, there is no insurance or no paid sick leave, etc. There can be a huge number of such details. The applicant did not want to call back, write and refuse the scheduled meeting or forgot.
- Unforeseen circumstances or force majeure. This rarely happens, but still. A person may suddenly fall ill, and tragic incidents may occur with the relatives, due to which the applicant will not be able to contact the employer in time and warn of the absence.
As a rule, if applicants do not come to the meeting, then they are not further considered as applicants for the position. However, if this is a high-class narrow-profile specialist, then the candidate can thus increase the price, knowing that the employer will not be able to find a replacement for him or her.
Recommendations for the HR manager
What can a recruiter do to reduce the number of such cases? Experts recommend:
- remind the applicant that you have an appointment with a phone call, and duplicate the information about the place and time of the interview in an email. If the applicant refuses to meet, then you can adjust your plans and not waste time waiting;
- if you see that a person is late, take care of current affairs instead of languishing in anticipation. Surely, you planned to interview several applicants for the day - it is better to prepare for the next meeting in time than to be nervous because of an unscrupulous candidate. It is unlikely that in the future you will be able to rely on an employee who is late or cancels an appointment without notifying the other party;
- be sure to indicate in the vacancy the real benefits of working in your organization. Focus on the benefits that your company provides: high wages, formal employment, training programs, corporate events, etc.;
- inform the applicant about the presence of representatives of the company's management at the interview. This fact increases the significance of the meeting, which means that the applicant will take the upcoming interview more responsibly;
- find out what is being said about your company online. Applicants start looking for additional information about the employer after receiving an invitation to an interview. Not always the reviews left on the web are good and truthful. They can be left by offended employees or unscrupulous competitors. Try to keep track of such publications promptly and respond to them correctly.
Do not despair if not all applicants invited for an interview reach you. Of course, this is a problem, but if you understand the reasons why this happens, it will be easier to deal with. In addition, if the invited candidate already at this stage showed up to be an irresponsible person, then maybe it's good that he or she did not come?
The job search site Login Casino Work checks each applicant's CV before publishing it on their pages. Here you can find the most responsible and decent applicants! If this article was helpful to you, please share it with your colleagues on social networks. Subscribe to updates and you will be able to receive even more information necessary for work.
Was the post interesting and informative? Get even more useful information, as well as find cool jobs and resumes on LC Work.